What’s in a (Toy’s) Name?

>> Friday, June 24, 2011

I have this thing with names. Some of my friends even courageously allow me to name their kids. How fortunate on the part of their kids, right? Right. However, it is a different story when it involves my kid’s toys. Do your kids name their toys, too? Do YOU name their toys? I do. Just for the heck of it. Haha! And most often, I find the most ludicrous-sounding name I can ever think of at that time. It usually frustrates my daughter when I do that. It annoys her to no end. I am that kind of parent. Mean. Hahaha! And since I already gave the toy a name before she does, it becomes the official name no matter how hard she convinces us to use a nicer name.

Well this toy, I named Be. I can’t remember right now the reason behind the name. As usual, my daughter was disagreeable upon learning about it. So she tried coming up with a better name. And her take? Cutie Be. How… original. Hahaha! 

Publication1


So let’s call him Cutie Be in this post. Cutie Be is a coming home gift of my mom to my daughter. We have been arguing on what kind animal Cutie Be is. I thought it is a raccoon, or skunk. Or even a bear. I even emailed a photo of Cutie Be to my husband just to ask him for a guess. We have been busy finding an answer that we failed to see that what we are looking for is right in front of us, written on the tag attached to the toy’s ear. Cutie Be is a red panda. And a real red panda, looks like this:


OK. That indeed looks like Cutie Be so I won’t argue and insist that he is a racoon. According to Wikipedia:

The red panda (Ailurus fulgens, or shining-cat), is a small arboreal mammal native to the eastern Himalayas and southwestern China. It is the only species of the genus Ailurus. The red panda has been classified as Vulnerable by IUCN because its population is estimated at fewer than 10,000 mature individuals. Although red pandas are protected by national laws in their range countries, their numbers in the wild continue to decline mainly due to habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching, and inbreeding depression.

How sad. I hope there won’t come a time when all that’s left to us are plush toys like Cutie Be because we, humans, have not help preserve and protect their kind from extinction.

1 comments:

kcot July 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

Wow! What a cute toy you have there, and nice name... BE! reminds me of my childhood when I used to name all my toys too,even the mini playground at school!

kcot
_______________________________________
http://www.newplayhouses.com/index.php

Post a Comment

Comments are very much welcome. But due to some spammers, I have to moderate them. Thank you!

Header Credits

Full of Life & Joyful Digital Kits by Jennifer Labre Designs | Pacifico Font